"Our greatest responsibility is to be good ancestors."

-Jonas Salk

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Renaming this Blog

Once while utterly disgruntled about my academic staff job at U Texas, I briefly renamed this blog to "Only In It for the Health Insurance". While that was up, someone found an article of mine he liked and linked to it, as "Michael Tobis, over at Only In It for the Health Insurance, says..." So that was a bit embarassing.

A blog's name should reflect its contents, though, and clearly the focus of this blog has shifted some. So I'd like to porpose some alternative names.

Based on the conversations here of late several alternatives present themselves.

"Tom Fuller Strawmans mt"

"Tom Fuller Misses the Point"

"Tom Fuller's False Balance Only Goes One Way"

Or I could just turn moderation back on.

I'd rather have no conversation at all than spend my time in a futile effort at getting Tom to read what I actually write rather than what he expects me to have written, so he can have his fun resenting me.

Moderation is on. Sorry for delays. There's no guarantee of service but I will usually respond within a day or so.



7 comments:

William M. Connolley said...

I'm not following the comments of which you speak, but if you don't want TF to comment, tell him not to, I would expect him to respect that. Failing that delete his comments, and only failing that turn on moderation. And don't rename the blog:-)

Anonymous said...

but if you don't want TF to comment, tell him not to, I would expect him to respect that.
Really? Is there more than one TF?

And don't rename the blog
Indeed, don't rename the blog.

Michael Tobis said...

The history around here has been to turn moderation on when Fuller gets out of hand and off again when he wanders off. But the periods of peace tend to be getting shorter.

I really don't want to moderate ad hominem, but Fuller seems determined to break me of this inclusive intent with his insistent arguing against things I didn't say, and sometimes against things I wouldn't say at gunpoint. It's rather boring replying to his ranting about some imaginary person with my name who says things I don't say and acts in ways I don't act.

I guess ATTP has a blacklist of some sort. I'm uncomfortable with that, but anyway I don't know how to do it here. Insofar as I know the only alternative on Blogger is pre-moderation.

Anonymous said...

I guess ATTP has a blacklist of some sort.
I do. If I knew when I started my blog what I know now, I may well have done things differently. Hindsight is 20:20, though.

I also don't know what sort of comment activity you've had in the past, but I went through a phase when it was pretty active and I was struggling to keep the discussions reasonable - well, what I would regard as reasonable. Partly, I would start to lose my cool, and partly I wasn't willing to simply let things become a free-for-all, and so banning some seemed like the only option. Others may, of course, do things differently.

Tom said...

As Connolley says, and as I have also written here and at Planet 3 numerous times, all you have to do is ask me to leave and I will.

EliRabett said...


Many years ago, Eli and a friend from flyover country were driving through Washington DC rush hour traffic. Friend continually got into trouble by trying to give way and then getting cut off, honked at etc.

Eli turned to him and remarked: Don't try and be nice, they don't understand it

Nosmo said...

Only the gold? Not the women too? At least that is why I got my Physics Ph.D. It was the money but especially the women.